Certain employment events create a PIE – a period of initial eligibility – when eligible employees and eligible family members can enroll in or change plan(s) without meeting special requirements.
For the medical, dental, vision, legal, and TIP plans, once you have selected a plan, you may not change it until there is either 1) a new PIE or 2) an Open Enrollment period where the plan is offered. However, you may opt out or cancel your coverage at anytime.
For the Supplemental Disability, Supplemental Life or Dependent Life plans, once you have selected a plan, you may not request additional insurance until there is either 1) a new PIE or 2) a Statement of Health is approved. You may request less insurance or cancel coverage at any time.
The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DepCare FSA) and Health Flexible spending Account (Health FSA) are governed by IRS regulations. Once you have selected one of these plans, you may not change it until there is either 1) a new PIE or 2) an Open Enrollment period where the plan is offered.
The PIE begins on the first day of eligibility (see below) and ends 31 days later, or on the last working day of that 31-day period, whichever comes first.
PIE does not apply to:
- AD&D (Employee may enroll any time)
- Basic Life (Employee enrolled automatically)
- Short-Term Disability (Employee enrolled automatically)
- Auto/Homeowner/Renter (Employee may enroll any time)
- UC Retirement Plan (Automatic and mandatory if eligible)
- UC Retirement Savings Programs (Automatic and mandatory if eligible; employee may enroll at any time in voluntary plans)
For additional information on life events that may trigger a PIE, view the Using Your Benefits section on UCnet.
Should you need additional assistance, please contact Campus Shared Services.
- UPAY 850 Form (PDF)