This section of the Central HR website is for Department Benefits Counselors (DBCs) and Department Human Resources Managers (DHRMs) – those of you who administer benefits to the faculty and staff in your department(s).
This section mirrors the Eligibility, Employment Events, and Life Events sections that are directed toward faculty and staff employees. In this section, you will find instructions for department benefits administrators on how to handle eligibility, employment and life events situations.
Role of the Department Benefits Counselor (DBC)
- Be knowledgeable of the benefits information on the UCnet website
- Be familiar with the processes available to them on this website
- Understand eligibility rules, benefits packages, and enrollment/change/cancel procedures.
- Provides front-line benefits information and guidance to new and continuing employees
- Helps employees through the enrollment/change/cancel process,
- Assists management in communicating benefits options throughout the employment life cycle.
While it is not appropriate for DBCs to make decisions about benefits for or take action on behalf of employees, they can help by referring employees to the resources that are available. DBCs work closely with Central Human Resources Benefits staff who provide guidance and training as well as information, by phone, email, workshops, and the Central HR website.