Layoff: Other Resources (Employees)

General Resources

  1. Employment Services. The Transition Services Program is provided by Employment Services. It offers ongoing support to laid-off employees. Its goal is to help you gain the confidence, knowledge, and strategies to effectively conduct a job search. Your manager will make an appointment for you with the Transition Services team. They will provide you with information on resume and cover letter development, interview preparation, Internet search strategies, and job search support services available to you.
  2. Employee Relations. Employee Relations Consultants are available to provide assistance in response to the University's contracts and personnel policies. You can contact an ER Consultant at 510-642-7163 or
  3. Benefits. When you receive your layoff notice, check with your Department Benefits Counselor regarding continuation of your benefits and retirement plan options. The BRS Benefits Team can be reached at 510-664-9000, option 3 or by opening an HR Service Hub case.
  4. Training. the campus offers a variety of classes that may be of value to you in your job search. Information about these classes and enrollment instructions are available online.
  5. Employee Assistance. Employee Assistance provides confidential services and referrals to help laid-off employees and their families deal with transition challenges and related personal stress. Their phone number is 510-643-7754.
  6. The Staff Ombuds Office is a confidential, informal, impartial, neutral, and non-adversarial alternative for the resolution of work-related problems and concerns. Their phone number is 642-7823.
  7. Career Counseling Library at University Health Services. The Career Counseling Library is a unique collection of books, files, school catalogs, and electronic resources. It is staffed by a professional career librarian and assistants who can help you explore careers, majors, and schools. The Library complements the comprehensive career counseling program offered by the Counseling and Psychological Services unit at UHS. For information, see the Career Counseling Library website or call 642-9494.
  8. Community Resources. Outside the campus there are a variety of employment resources, including the State of California Employment Development Department (EDD), college placement services, temporary help agencies, Private Industry Council (PIC) offices, and CalWorks agencies such as East Bay Works that provide excellent job search assistance. Your Employment Services recruiter will provide you with an up-to-date list of support agencies in the community as well as Internet job boards you can use to post your resume and search for job.

Learning and Development Resources

UCB provides limited access to learning and development classes for staff on layoff status. The following is list of programs and services available to staff prior to separation from the university and during their preferential rehire period.

  1. Central Human Resources. Central HR provides limited classes in the area of Career Development that may be helpful for staff scheduled for or currently on layoff. If you are scheduled for layoff but still employed you may enroll in these classes by using your UC ID. If you have been separated from UCB, please call the Transition Services Program at 643-8702 for enrollment assistance.
  2. University Health Services. University Health Services provides limited classes early in the preferential rehire period. Please contact 643-4646 for course information and enrollment.
  3. Career Counseling Library. The Career Counseling Library at the Tang Center 2220 Bancroft Way is open to staff at no charge prior to separation from UCB. The phone number is 642-2367.

Unemployment Insurance

  1. Go to Employment Development Department (EDD).
  2. Click on Claims.
  3. Find the Unemployment Insurance section and follow the steps listed.

Please note that the address you use on your EDD claim must match the address on your paycheck. If you need to update your address, visit UCPath Online.

Benefits Resources

Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) Benefits Team
Phone: 510-664-9000, option 3
Open an HR Service Hub case

Retirement Plan Questions
Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC)
Phone: 1-800-888-8267, press 8 (in U.S.)
Phone: 1-510-987-0200 (from outside the U.S.)
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (PT).
Fax: 1-800-792-5178

COBRA Questions
If you have questions regarding continuation of your University-sponsored medical, dental, or vision coverage under COBRA, contact:

Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) Benefits Team
Phone: 510-664-9000, option 3
Open an HR Service Hub case

For More Information
UC Human Resources and Benefits (UCnet)

Other Numbers

American Home Assurance
(for AD&D conversion)

Prudential Conversion Office
(for life insurance conversion)

A+ (California Casualty) Service Center

California Franchise Tax Board

Internal Revenue Service

Social Security Administration

Fidelity Retirement Services
Monday - Friday
Hours: 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., PT
1-866-682-7787, press 3

California Public Employees'
Retirement System (CalPERS)

California State Teachers'
Retirement System (CalSTRS)

(for DepCare and Health FSA)
Phone: 1-800-482-4120
Claims Fax: 1-800-482-4174