Frequently Asked Questions - Hiring


What's the process for reviewing if a job vacancy may be posted via an internal-only recruitment?

Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action (AA) are foundational to Berkeley's commitment to equity, inclusion and equal access on our campus.   An internal recruitment may be approved in cases where the anticipated pool of campus, divisional, or departmental applicants is equally or more diverse than the general workforce for the protected groups in question. 

The process to review if a job vacancy may be posted via an internal-only recruitment starts with the hiring manager providing the Berkeley job titles for the anticipated internal pool of qualified applicants. The Staff EEO Compliance unit in People & Culture reviews the campus affirmative action goals established for the vacant job and conducts an analysis to determine if the potential internal applicants are sufficiently diverse in areas where affirmative action goals exist.  If the internal representation is greater than that of the general workforce, the vacancy is approved. More often than not, the internal applicant pool is not sufficient for internal recruitment to be supported, in which case, a full recruitment is required. 

To request a vacancy be reviewed to determine if an internal-only recruitment can be conducted, please complete the Request - Internal Only Recruitment Form

How will the Delegated Authorities know what positions are posted?

HR will send a monthly list to them of all posted requisitions.

How do I request advertising?

Indicate the external media venues and chart string you would like to use in the additional comments section and job posting destination section of the TAM job opening. Your recruiter will work with you on coordinating the advertisement efforts.

How do I recruit using an Executive Search firm?

Contact your Talent Acquisition Advisor or Director of Talent Acquisition for information regarding use of Executive Search firms.

When will I have access to my applications?

  • For all Career, partial-year career, and contract appointments: Day 15 of posting (Exception: SPC applicants are available within the first 14 days)
  • Immediately for MSP and limited-900 hour postings.

How do I determine my Affirmative Action recruitment goals for a job?

To determine Affirmative Action recruitment goals, see the list of Control Unit Affirmative Action goals.

Affirmative Action goals also display within the TAM system.

How do I get a temporary waiver?

Temporary waiver requests may be sent to the Talent Acquisition and Employment Services unit at If you are a UCB employee and need HR assistance please contact your region at

How do I hire a temporary worker?

There are several options for filling temporary needs, including hiring individuals on contract or limited appointments. You may recruit for these positions using the Talent Acquisition (TAM) system, or direct hire for limited appointments. To hire individuals on contract you must use an Employee Relations approved contract template. See information regarding temporary hires.

You may also, in some circumstances, hire through a UC approved temporary staffing agency. View more details regarding temporary agencies.