Free UC Berkeley Extension Courses for Eligible Staff Employees
Sponsored Tuition is a career development initiative spearheaded by Central HR in 2013, which provides free tuition for eligible employees. UC Berkeley employees can take one course per year from our approved course listing with no costs to the employee.
To learn more about this professional development opportunity, please review the application form and program description in the UC Learning Center or in the PDFs below.
For additional information and questions, contact the Staff Learning and Development team at email@example.com or UC Berkeley Extension at (510) 642-4111.
At UC Berkeley, workforce learning and development is a joint, on-going effort on the part of employees, supervisors, and the campus. Employees should discuss available Extension courses with their supervisors to determine which courses can develop skills for current or future job duties and are a good fit with development plans and career goals. Employees must plan and receive supervisor approval for leave arrangements if they want to attend a course during working hours.
To View a list of available courses, download the Class List PDF.
- Abiding by all UC Berkeley Extension policies.
- Satisfying eligibility requirements and completing the enrollment process.
- Discussing courses with their supervisors to determine how the course:
- supports the employee's professional development
- relates to current or future job responsibilities
- Getting approval from supervisors for course enrollment and resolution of any work schedule conflicts.
- Obtaining the support and signature of their supervisors to attend the course.
- Sponsored enrollments will be subject to the same enrollment deadlines as all other students.
- Withdrawal after the drop deadline may jeopardize future participation in the program.
- To drop or withdraw, please contact UC Berkeley Extension at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Successfully passing L&D sponsored courses with a credit letter grade of "C-" or better, a grade of pass "P" or continuing education units "CEU".
- All "I" grades (incompletes) must be completed within the timelines as agreed upon with the instructor before an employee can request to enroll into another L&D-sponsored course.
- Employees will become ineligible to take future courses sponsored through the L&D Sponsored Tuition program for any of the following circumstances:
- Completing a course with a grade of "D", "F", "NP" or "W".
- Requesting a not for credit "NC" grading option.
- Failure to complete the coursework within the timelines as agreed upon with the instructor in order to resolve an "I" grade (incomplete).
Information and Enrollment
To enroll, visit the UC Learning Center:
- Go to UC Learning Center
- Authenticate using your Calnet ID
- In the Search box (top right hand corner), type Sponsored Tuition
- There will be two documents to review:
- Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form
- Sponsored Tuition Program Description
- Click on Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form and select START