At UC Berkeley, workforce learning and development is a joint, on-going effort on the part of employees, supervisors, and the campus. Employees should discuss available Extension courses with their supervisors to determine which courses can develop skills for current or future job duties and are a good fit with development plans and career goals. Employees must plan and receive supervisor approval for leave arrangements if they want to attend a course during working hours.
View available UC Berkeley Extension courses by clicking here.
Eligibility requirements for staff to participate in the Sponsored Tuition Program include:
having successfully completed probationary period (if you are unsure about whether you have completed your probationary period, please ask your supervisor),
being a full time Career staff employee or Contract staff employee, including non-represented and represented employees, and
being on pay status at the time of enrollment.
Staff Employees receiving sponsored tuition are responsible for:
- Fees related to books and/or other course materials.
- Abiding by all UC Berkeley Extension policies.
- Satisfying eligibility requirements and completing the enrollment process.
- Discussing courses with their supervisors to determine how the course:
- supports the employee's professional development, and
- relates to current or future job responsibilities.
- Getting approval from supervisors for course enrollment and resolution of any work schedule conflicts.
- Obtaining the support and signature of their supervisors to attend the course.
- Sponsored enrollments will be subject to the same enrollment deadlines as all other students.
- Withdrawal after the drop deadline may jeopardize future participation in the program.
- To drop or withdraw, please contact UC Berkeley Extension at email@example.com.
- Successfully passing Sponsored Tuition courses with a credit letter grade of "C-" or better, a grade of pass "P" or continuing education units "CEU".
- All "I" grades (incompletes) must be completed within the timelines as agreed upon with the instructor before an employee can request to enroll in another course through the Sponsored Tuition program.
- Employees will become ineligible to take future courses sponsored through the Sponsored Tuition program for any of the following circumstances:
- Completing a course with a grade of "D", "F", "NP" or "W".
- Requesting a not for credit "NC" grading option.
- Failure to complete the coursework within the timelines as agreed upon with the instructor in order to resolve an "I" grade (incomplete).
As noted on the UCB Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form, it is the responsibility of the employee and supervisor to ensure that the employee is eligible to participate in the program, and not approve the UCB Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form if an employee is ineligible because they have withdrawn from a previous course or received a failing grade.
Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Publication 15-B (2019), Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits, employees can exclude up to $5,250 of educational assistance provided under an educational assistance program from the employee's wages each year. It is expressly the employee’s responsibility to keep track of the courses taken at UNEX and other institutions to ensure that the courses taken do not exceed the IRS maximum. The course fee total is based on the public list price of courses taken.
Information and Enrollment
To enroll, simply complete the "Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form" and return as directed.