Free UC Berkeley Extension Courses for Eligible Staff Employees
Highlights of the Spring class list include offering 550 eligible University Extension courses (270 more than previous semesters) as well as offering courses from 31 separate fields of study (13 more than previous semesters).
Sponsored Tuition is a career development initiative spearheaded by Central HR in 2013, which provides free tuition for eligible employees. UC Berkeley employees can take one course per year from our approved course listing with no costs to the employee.
To learn more about this professional development opportunity please review the application form and program description (link takes you to UC Learning Center) which includes the list of covered Spring courses. We also have the Program Description and Course List available here on our website as a PDF (see below).
For additional information and questions, contact the Staff Learning and Development team at TOP@berkeley.edu or UC Berkeley Extension at (510) 642-4111.
At UC Berkeley, workforce learning and development is a joint, on-going effort on the part of employees, supervisors, and the campus. Employees should discuss available Extension courses with their supervisors to determine which courses can develop skills for current or future job duties and are a good fit with development plans and career goals. Employees must plan and receive supervisor approval for leave arrangements if they want to attend a course during working hours.
To View a list of available courses, log in to the UC Learning Center (see "Information and Enrollment", below). Program areas eligible for sponsored tuition include:
- Business and Management
- Computer Technology and Information Management
- Environmental Engineering and Management
- Writing, Editing and Technical Communications
For more information and enrollment instructions, visit the UC Learning Center:
- Go to blu
- Authenticate using your Calnet ID
- Select UC LEARNING CENTER in the SELF-SERVICE section
- In the Search box, type Sponsored Tuition
- There will be two documents to review:
- Sponsored Tuition Enrollment Form
- Sponsored Tuition Program Description and Course Schedule
- Click on the document you wish to view and select START