Employees who voluntarily separate from employment are considered to have resigned their University employment. Requirements for the amount of notice vary, depending on the personnel program.
When you find out an employee is resigning, be sure to:
- Discuss the reasons for the person's desire to resign. If you see some alternatives, discuss those with the employee.
- Ask for a written letter of resignation, including reasons and effective date of the separation.
- Schedule an exit interview meeting.
- Complete all the tasks on the Separating Employee Checklist.
- Make sure the employee receives termination pay on time.
- If you feel that in the best interest of the department the employee should not be at work, consult with your Employee Relations Consultant.