Staff Affirmative Action Plan
The UC Berkeley Staff Affirmative Action Plan serves as a working document that outlines UC Berkeley's policies, responsibilities, priorities and programs for ensuring equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
As an employer that receives federal contract and grants funds, the University of California must maintain an affirmative action plan. The plan is evaluated, monitored, and updated annually.
UC Berkeley produces separate affirmative action plans for academic staff and non-academic staff. The affirmative action plan and goals for academic employees is produced by the Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare.
Annual Goals and Benchmarks
As part of its commitment to affirmative action, the University sets annual recruitment (or placement) goals for women and minorities, utilization goals for individuals with disabilities, and hiring benchmarks for protected veterans. It also makes and monitors good faith efforts to reach those goals.
The purpose of AA goals is to serve as a campuswide guide to underrepresentation in our workforce. Recruitment efforts should specifically outreach to identified groups, ensuring a diverse pool of applicants.
An important part in this undertaking is played by hiring managers and others who are involved with recruitment and selections. For more information, see Resources: Recruitment Process
Ways to Find Affirmative Action Goals
- When a job opening has been created and saved, a list of applicable goals will populate on the TAM job opening screen and job posting screen.
- Upon final approval of a job posting, the hiring manager will receive a confirmation via email. This email also contains a list of the applicable goals.
- At any time, AA Goals can also be found by means of the charts below. AA Goals are assigned to job groups, which are categories comprising similarly situated job titles. To determine AA Goals for a specific job title:
- Identify the job group to which it belongs, using one of the following charts:
- Next, open the Printable Goals Chart (PDF)
- Find the job group code in the left hand column of the chart. If all boxes are blank, there are no goals. A percentage with blue shading indicates recruitment goal(s). Benchmarks and goals for individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are listed at the bottom of the chart. Affirmative action goals and benchmarks are targets, not quotas.