Applicant Support for HCM Talent Acquisition Manager
"How To Apply" Tutorial (PDF)
Register and create a new profile
Internal applicants have a separate set of instructions on how to edit their already existing profile and apply for jobs.
- Go to http://jobs.berkeley.edu/. The UC Berkeley Jobs Main Page appears.
Click the External Applicants link in the "Apply Now!" box on the lower right side of the page. You will then be taken to the Careers page.
- The Careers Home page appears.
Click the Register Now link in the Login box in the top right corner.
- Click in the User Name field.
- Select a user name that you will be able to remember. This User Name is only used to log into this site and will not be seen by the hiring departments. This field is not case sensitive.
- Enter a password that you will remember. Don't use personal information as your password, such as your birthday or social security number. This field IS case sensitive.
- Re-enter the same password in the Confirm Password field.
- Click the Register button.
- Notice the My Career Tools box has replaced the Login box in the top right corner.
We have just registered a login name and password. The next step is to set up a profile.
Click the My Profile link.
- The My Profile page appears, allowing you to enter (or edit on subsequent visits) your contact information.
You must provide a first name, last name, zip code and email address. Although the rest of the fields are optional, it is helpful to provide multiple contact methods.
You will also be required (on this page) to answer a question about any possible criminal convictions.
Note, there is an option to change your Password.
- Select your Preferred Method of contact from the list.
- First Name is a required field (as shown by the asterisk).
Enter the desired information into the First Name field.
- If you have a middle name and wish to provide it or the first initial, enter that information (optional).
- Last Name is a required field.
Enter Last Name.
- All of the address except the zip code is optional.
- Zip code is a required field. Employment Services collects statistics as to where applicants are applying from.
Enter the Zip code.
- Email is a necessary field. The system sends many notifications by email.
Select from the Primary Email Type list.
- Enter an Email Address.
- The Phone number field is optional. A phone number may already be in your resume but we'd like to have it here as well (optional).
Select from the Primary Phone Type: list.
- Enter the desired information into the Phone Number field. Remember to include your area code.
- The Criminal Conviction History appears. Read the entire section very carefully. Answer appropriately.
- Once you click the Save button you have successfully created your Profile.
- You will be able to edit this Profile information later if you need to.
Note: you have not applied for any positions yet, just registered for the website and created a profile.
Log in and edit your profile
The process differs for Internal Applicants (people who already work at UC Berkeley).
- Go to http://jobs.berkeley.edu and click the External Applicant link in the "Apply Now!" box on the lower-right side of the page.
- You will be taken to the Careers Home page. Enter your User Name (or email address if you registered in the old system prior to April 9, 2009).
- Enter your Password. (If you've forgotten it click the Login Help link and reset the password.)
- Click the Login button.
- You'll see your user name in the upper left corner as the system welcomes you. The login area in the right corner changes to the "My Career Tools" section.
To change information in your profile, click the My Profile link.
- To change the address, enter the new information into the Address 1 field.
- To change the phone number, enter the new number in the Phone Number field.
- Click the Save button.
"How To Apply" Tutorial (PDF)
Log in and edit your profile
- To log in and apply for jobs, go to http://blu.berkeley.edu.
Log in using your Calnet ID.
Once you are logged in, you can use the Find Jobs box View All Jobs link or use the dropdown to search for a particular job category.
You can also click on Careers – View Jobs in the Self Service section. This will bring you to the Careers Home page.
- If you have never applied online for a UCB job before, or you need to update your conviction information, you will need to go to the My Profile section and answer the Conviction History question. Otherwise you do not need to set up your profile.
To change any of your personal information, click on the appropriate link in the Update Personal Information section of the Self Service menu in the BLU portal (you can not do it from the Careers page).
How to apply for a job
- Log in and search for jobs.
- When you find a job you like, click the Apply Now yellow button.
- The system will then provide you with 3-4 options. Select ONE of the following and provide the appropriate information as prompted.
- Upload new resume/cover letter
- You can only have 1 attachment per job. The system does allow several different kinds of attachment to be added in your application, however, the easiest way for departments to see the attachments is if they are text based WORD or .RTF (rich text files) documents. (Warning: Word 2007 and 2010 are not compatible.) PDF documents are also acceptable.
- Do not upload an encrypted or password protected file, otherwise the deparment will not be able to view your application.
- Please keep your document's title shorter than 60 characters; if you get a "parsing" error, it means the title of your attachment is too long.
- Paste resume/cover letter into a text box.
- Apply without using a resume (you can fill out Education, Work Experience and other information in forms provided.)
- Apply using previous applications (this will not display your first time applying).
Note: Previous attachments added to the old system converted as "blank" (with no titles) so you may see blanks in this option. You can reuse old applications (all the information is still there), but you will NOT be able to edit it. This is NOT a recommended option. It will probably be best to upload an updated version.
- Upload new resume/cover letter
- You are then taken to the Referral Information section. Please answer the question "How did you find out about the job?" by selecting the appropriate drop-down option. If you were referred by a specific person or venue other than those listed, you can type it in the “Specific Referral Source” field.
- Select the appropriate answer for “Are you a former employee?” and scroll down to the Conviction History section.
- Once you’ve entered your referral source information, you must complete the Conviction History section.
- Read the entire section very carefully and answer appropriately.
- If you have provided a cover letter and/or resume (by attachment or textbox) that contains the relevant information you do NOT have to fill out the Education & Work Experience sections and can click the Submit button.
- If you have not provided information via attachment or text box, you should fill out Work Experience and Education History sections (click the active link to get to each section). NOTE: If you elect to fill out your post-secondary education, you will need to first indicate the COUNTRY, to get the rest of the menu choices to work.
- The References section is also optional. Remember that references can always be brought to an interview and are not needed at the application process unless specifically asked for.
- Please review your submission carefully before proceeding. You will NOT be able to edit your application after submitting it and you can only apply once to a job opening.
- When you are satisfied with your application, click the yellow SUBMIT button.
NOTE: clicking SAVE will not submit your application. It saves your information as a draft.
- If you are an External applicant the system will ask you to self-identify your ethnicity and gender. This part is OPTIONAL. It is NOT seen by the hiring committee. This information is only used by the Employment Office to track the diversity of our applicant pool. You may decline to provide the data. (If you are already an employee you will not see this page.)
- Below the self-identification section, the Terms and Agreements section shows. Please read this carefully.
- If you agree to these terms, please click the radio button labeled "I agree to these terms".
- If you do not agree to the terms you can not apply for this job.
- Click the SUBMIT button. Only after you agree to the terms of the site and click on this last submit button have you actually successfully applied for the job. (If you are already an employee you will not see this page.)
- Once you hit the last Submit button, you will see a confirmation message stating "You have successfully submitted your job application.” Below that message is your application history (shown from oldest to most recent), so you may need to use the arrow keys to scroll or change the display option to see your job. You will also receive an email confirmation of your application.
Completing an application in draft status
- If you SAVE a job before completing the entire process, the application will be in DRAFT status and the department will not see it because you will not have actually applied for the job.
- To finish your application and successfully apply for the job you will need to find it in your list of applications.
- To find your Draft submission - either click on your "Applications and Drafts" link on the main page (Careers Home) or click on the My Career Tools link at top of page. (You can not simply start over again and try to apply again because you already have a partially completed application - the system will stop you with a warning message.)
- The Job Opening will display as "Not Applied" in your My Applications table.
- Click on the name of the Job Opening and continue filling out your application. Move through the same process, making sure you've submitted your application and answered the Referral Source question ("where did you hear about this job"), click the first Submit button, agree to the terms of the site and click Submit again.
- At that point you will have officially applied to the job and be under consideration for it. You should receive an email confirming this that includes the Job Opening ID #.
- It is not recommended that you click the "Apply now without adding a job" link at the bottom of the page unless you are simply building your profile for future applications. There is no guarantee that this profile would be viewed and is not the way to seek employment at UC Berkeley. You must apply to specific jobs to be considered for them. If you use this option you will see it recorded as "NO JOB" in your application history.