Frequently Asked Questions - Transition Assistance

What is the Transition Assistance Program?

The UC Berkeley Transition Assistance Vacation Cash-Out Program is a temporary program to help eligible exempt employees transitioning to a biweekly pay schedule.  A vacation payout of up to 80 hours of accrued vacation is available to eligible non-exempt employees.

Why should I consider applying for the Transition Assistance Program?

The Transition Assistance Program was designed to help during the transition period from a monthly pay period to a biweekly pay period. We encourage you to look at the biweekly paydate calendar at Payroll Calendar Deadlines webpage, evaluate your financial need during that transition pay period and consider whether the Transition Assistance Program is right for you.

Who is eligible?

You are eligible if you are an exempt employee that has been identified and notified by Central Human Resources and will be reclassified to a non-exempt position on November 20th, 2016.

How long will the application period be?

Employees will be able to apply from 8am November 4, 2016 to 5pm November 15, 2016.

How will tax withholding be handled for the vacation payout?

The payout of vacation will be subject to the W-4 withholdings that you have set up at the time that you receive payment.

How do I apply?

You must complete, sign and submit the Transition Assistance Program application during the application period (November 4 - November 15). The application form can be downloaded here.

Signed applications can be turned in by:
Fax: (510) 642-2888
Drop-off at location: Central HR, University Hall, 2199 Addison St, Suite 192, Berkeley CA

How will I know if my application was received? How will I know if I was approved?

If you provide your email address, you will receive an email within 48 hours of receipt that your application was approved, denied or requires clarification. Further instructions will be provided if your form was not completed accurately and you will have an opportunity to correct it.

When will my loan vacation be paid out?

Your requested vacation will be paid on December 1, 2016.

How will I receive the payment?

You will receive the payment as part of your regular wages paycheck by either direct deposit or paper check -- whichever way you are receiving your paycheck now.  

What if I do not have enough vacation accrued?

Human Resources will only approve the payout for the vacation that you have currently accrued and recorded in the Campus Payroll system.  

When will I get my first regular paycheck once I go biweekly?

Your first biweekly pay date will be December 14, 2016.

Where should I go if I need help with the Transition Assistance Program?

Please send an email to or contact Campus Shared Services at 510-664-9000, option 3.

How do I check how many hours of vacation I have?

  1. Go to
  2. select “Access” then “Access online”
  3. select “My Reports”
  4. select “My Accrual Balances and Projections”, insert date
  5. select “View Report”

Do I need to save vacation hours for curtailment?

No. For curtailment you will be able to use vacation leave before it is accrued. 

What if I plan to take vacation leave between November 1 through November 19?

Before you decide on the amount of vacation to cash out, please consider any future vacation time you may be expecting to take especially during November 1 through November 19th. You may want to deduct your planned vacation hours from your current balance and then evaluate the vacation amount you would like to cash out.

Is the vacation cash-out program only available for those affected by the new DOL New OT Rule?

Only employees converting to non-exempt status and a bi-weekly pay schedule are eligible to request the vacation cash-out to assist with the transition.