Formal Conflict Management

Filing a complaint or grievance

If a conflict cannot be resolved informally, or if an employee chooses not to resolve it informally, the employee can initiate a formal conflict management process by filing a complaint or grievance pursuant to Personnel Policies for Staff Members Policy 70 for non-represented employees, or the grievance article of the applicable collective bargaining agreement for represented employees. 

NOTE: Most complaints or grievances must be submitted within 30 calendar days from the date you knew or should have known of the act that gave rise to the complaint or grievance.