Employees whose terms and conditions of employment are determined by a collective bargaining agreement may be required to pay an Agency Fee to their exclusive representative union. Under the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA), employees in a bargaining unit for which an exclusive represented has been selected must either join the organization or pay a fair share service fee (“agency fee”).

If an employee "is a member of a bona fide religion, body or sect that has historically held conscientious objections to joining or financially supporting public employee organizations, the employee is required to pay a "service fee to a non-religious, non-labor charitable fund" chosen jointly by the union and the University. The decision of whether the employee is a bona fide religious objector will be determined on an individual basis by the union.

Learn More

  • For more information on union dues, fair share fees or conscientious objector fees, please see the collective bargaining agreement for your bargaining unit or contact the union or labor organization which represents employees in your bargaining unit.